Museum of the New Llano Colony

Come and enjoy Vernon Parish, Louisiana's Legend Country.

The New Llano Cooperative Colony was founded in 1917 by Job Harriman. It was located two miles south of Leesville on 20,000 acres of cut-over land. Members paid $2000 and were given a job. In return they received a home and their share of food. The people were self-sufficient, farming the land and operating various manufacturing and specialty businesses. They had their own school, infirmary, hospital, and recreational facilities. The colony was closed in 1937.

The Museum is open Tue-Fri, 10am to 4pm. This building, standing across the railroad tracks from Hwy. 171 in New Llano, housed the commissary for the community.

211 Stanton St.
New Llano
LA
71461
Phone: 
337-238-1185