Vernon Parish is proud of its history as a part of "No Man's Land" along what was the disputed border with Mexico. Outlaws and bandits as well as heroes and soldiers made their mark on this fertile soil. Louisiana's Legend Country celebrates their stories that shaped the culture of today. Enjoy our historic heritage and hospitality as well as our many outdoor adventures of today.
Early travel in Vernon Parish was very difficult. The few roads were little more than pig trails. It proved very difficult for farmers traveling to markets for either buying or selling their goods. The settlement of Almadane first sprang up because its location on the Sabine River made it possible for residents to send and receive goods by steamboat. Lumbermen also made use of the river. They cut down nearby trees and hauled them to "Nacoco" Creek to be "rafted" and floated to the sawmills at Orange, Texas.
Three early settlers in the area were Daniel R. Knight, Al Damereal, and Mann Huddleston. When the first post office opened in 1883, the responsibility fell to Daniel Knight, as the prospective postmaster, to come up with a name for the community. He chose Almadane -- a combination of the names of these three pioneers -- "Al" Damereal, "Ma"nn Huddleston, and "Dan" Knight, with an "E" added for euphony.
Soon after the turn of the century, Capt. Samuel Allardyce moved to the area to run the general store, the cotton gin, the grist mill, and the sawmill. He also provided a news source to the community -- on Tuesdays and Thursdays he shared World War I news by reading the newspaper to customers gathered in his store.
In the 1920's, when the railroad replaced the steamboat as the most viable way to transport goods, the sawmills were closed, and many residents moved away to find work. The Almadane Plantation dog trot house marked the spot for many years, but today is no longer on the main road (Hwy. 111) passing through the site. Though altered by recent owners, the home and site are still beautiful. The Almadane Cemetery for black workers is located very near the river which once served as a major transportation route for the entire area. Today, it is a completely rural area, with no businesses at all. It is located on the Myths and Legends Byway.
Info taken from "Louisiana Place Names: Popular, Unusual, and Forgotten Stories of Towns..." by Clare D'Artois Leeper